Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 11, 12
- Minimum of 2 scholarly sources in addition to the textbook.
Research the proportion of women, African Americans, Native Americans, Hispanic Americans, Asian Americans and openly gay or lesbian members of Congress.
- Reflect on what these patterns say about the nature of representation.
- Why do some groups tend to be underrepresented in Congress?
- Why do you see a trend in which more women and minorities are being represented?
- Do you think the underrepresentation of women and minorities affect Congress’s business?
- How might we as a people address this situation and strive towards equal representation? Make sure to cite sources used.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- Length: 1.5-2 pages (not including title page or references page)
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page
- References page (minimum of 2 scholarly sources in addition to textbook if cited)
Discusses Equality of Representation
provides a thorough discussion of the underrepresentation or equality of representation of women and minorities in Congress in comparison to Congressional demographic make up 20 pts
Impact of Underrepresentation by Congress
Provides a realistic hypothesis of potential issues caused by different social groups nots being equally represented in Congress20 pts
Proposes Strategies to Ensure Equal Representation
Proposes at least three relevant strategies the general populace could follow to ensure equality of congressional representation. 20 pts
The assignment is at least 1½- 2 pages long 10 pts
Writing: Mechanics and Usage
The writing is concise, free of errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation. 20 pts
The references are provided in accurate APA format. 10 pts